There are numerous ways in which your debit card payment can fail.
A simple everyday transaction involves numerous factors and entities. Sometimes a transaction might fail because of a third party. In this case, the merchant, acquirer, card network, and the issuing bank are all involved in the authorization process. This makes it harder to guess the reason for a failed transaction.
But don't worry!
Payhawk now has custom descriptive notifications which give you more clarity as to why your payment has failed and what you can do about it.
Let's look at some examples:
- Every time you try to pay with a card that doesn't have enough funds, you will receive the following message:
Insufficient funds 💰
The card has insufficient funds to complete the $18 purchase. Go ahead and request funds now💸
If you are on our Premium or Enterprise plan, you have the ability to directly request funds from our application. When you click on the notification you will be redirected to the card details screen from where you can add funds to your card.
If you are on our Pro plan, you can still request a top-up from an admin by sending them a text message or email.
- Card issuers have different security protocols. For example, every 5th transaction that you authorize with your touch or face ID would also require you to enter your PIN. In these cases, you will receive the following message:
Use your chip & PIN 👮♂️
For security reasons, please manually type in your PIN. You can click here to view it.
If you have forgotten your PIN, you can also click on the notification and you will be redirected to your card details where you can see your PIN.
- Sometimes, you might end up using the wrong card or you might have frozen a card by mistake. If that happens during an authorization process, you will receive the following message:
Frozen Card 🥶
We cannot process your $24 payment from WholeFoodsMarket due to a frozen card. Click here to check the card status.
In this scenario, you have the ability to click on the notification, check, and change the status of your card.
- Entering your card details can always go wrong. If you happen to mistype your PIN, CVV or Expiry Date you will receive the corresponding message:
Wrong PIN💳You seem to have mistaken your PIN code. No worries! Click here to view your PIN.
The good thing is that you will be redirected to your card details with just one click.
- If your card is closed for whatever reason, you will be prompted to use an alternative payment method:
Closed card🥺The card ending in **** you tried to use is closed. Please find an alternative payment method.
- Whenever you receive your debit card, you have to activate it using your card details in order to start using it. If you try paying with it before that, you will be prompted with the following message:
Activate your card 💳 Your card needs to be enabled. Click here to activate your card!
By clicking on the notification, you will be directed to the card details where you can activate your card.
If you have questions, please contact us on Intercom!